Like many aspects of our lives this year, voting will be different than in years past. As a library, we believe that it is important to provide you with the appropriate information to cast your ballot. Here we have compiled voting information which includes both state and local details. All of the information in this post has been obtained from both state and local government websites and are referenced several times throughout. Please refer to these sites for the most up-to-date information:
- Boone County Clerk Website (Phone Number: 859-334-2108)
- Kentucky State Board of Elections Website
- Kentucky Voter Information Portal
The deadline to register to vote is Monday, October 5. There are 3 ways you can register:
- Online at Register to Vote.
- By Mail
- At the Boone County Clerk’s Office
- Turn your registration in at the Boone County Clerk’s Office.
To find out more about verifying your registration status or updating your registration, please visit the State Board of Elections Registration page.
Absentee Ballot Request
The deadline to apply online for an Absentee Ballot is October 9, 2020 at 11:59 pm EST. To request an Absentee Ballot, use the online portal. Ballots will be mailed out beginning mid-September. Check the status of your Absentee Ballot here. Please note: If you request an Absentee Ballot, you cannot come in person and vote early.
There are 2 ways to return your Absentee Ballot:
- Mail it Back
- Your Ballot must be postmarked by November 3, 2020 and be received by the County Clerk’s office by November 6, 2020.
- Designated Secure Drop Boxes
- You are able to return your Absentee Ballot by dropping it in one of the 4 secure ballot drop box. You are able to place your ballot in the drop box anytime during the normal business hours of the location. Ballots will be picked up daily. Please note: Ballots MUST be dropped off by 6:00p.m. on November 3, 2020. Drop Box Locations are listed below:
- Boone County Administration Building
(Boone County Clerk’s Burlington location)
2950 Washington Square, Burlington, KY 41005
- Boone County Public Library – Scheben Branch
8899 US 42, Union, KY 41091
- Boone County Public Library – Hebron Branch
1863 North Bend Road, Hebron, KY 41048
- Boone County Public Library – Florence Branch
7425 US 42 Florence, KY 41042
- Boone County Administration Building
Early voting will take place October 13 to November 2, 2020 at the Boone County Extension Enrichment Center on the first floor. This is the same location in which the Primary Election was held.
Boone County Extension Enrichment Center
1824 Patrick Drive, Burlington, KY
- Monday, Thursday and Friday
9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday and Wednesday
9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Three consecutive Saturdays
October 17, 24, 31 – 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Parking is available in the lot next to Burger King.
Voting In-Person on Election Day
Tuesday, November 3
6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The Boone County Clerk’s office has set up 10 “Super Polls.” Boone County voters can vote at whichever site they choose, regardless of where they live. There will be multiple check-in stations and voting machines at each location. This NKY Tribune article contains more details about the upcoming voting process and a sample ballot for Boone County residents. The following locations have been approved “Super Poll” sites. Please click on a location for address and directions:
- Larry A Ryle High School
- Randall K. Cooper High School
- Conner High School
- Boone County High School
- Walton-Verona High School
- Walton-Verona Elementary School
- A. Jones Middle School
- Ockerman Middle School
- Charles H. Kelly Elementary School
- Boone County Extension Enrichment Center
We’re Here to Help!
If you need internet access or still feel unsure about navigating through some of these sites, stop by any of our Boone County Public Library locations for computer use, free Wi-Fi, and a little extra help if needed. There are a lot of changes this year, but local and state governments are doing everything they can to inform the public. Stay informed about this year’s ongoing election process and make sure you vote!
Kelsey Shackelford is the Community Events Liaison for Boone County Public Library.