(by Chelsea Swinford-Johantges, Children’s Librarian at the Hebron Branch)
Maybe you’re the creative type, crafty with an artistic flair. Maybe you’re handy at home and looking for the most practical way to complete your projects. Maybe you scroll wistfully through Pinterest boards, knowing you’re more inclined to “fail it” than “nail it.” No matter your need or your skill level, the Boone Innovation Lab is here for you.
Located just past the front desk at the Hebron Branch, 1863 North Bend Road in Hebron, the Lab has 3D printers, a 3D carving machine, a laser engraver, a media conversion station, a Cricut Maker and EasyPress, a camera and lightbox, sewing and quilting equipment, and more. The Lab’s computers are equipped with all the software you need to start your project, and knowledgeable staff will be on hand during the Lab’s open hours to offer guidance and support. For more details or to make a reservation, visit the Boone Innovation Lab webpage at bcpl.org/about/innovation-lab. Equipment can be reserved 2-30 days in advance with your Library card.
Most of the equipment is free to use as long as you provide your own supplies, but specialized materials must be purchased from the Library.
- Projects made using the 3D printers or 3D pens cost $0.10 per gram.
- Posters are $1-$2 per linear foot, depending upon the paper selected.
- Needles for the quilting machine are $0.50 each, and bobbins are $3.
- Additional materials–such as $1 plywood squares for the Carvey or GlowForge, $6 spools of quilting thread, or $5 flash drives (16GB)–can be purchased from the Library, but you’re also welcome to bring your own.
- You must have a Boone County Public Library card in good standing.
- You must sign a waiver to use lab equipment, and parents must sign with minors under 18.
- A parent or adult guardian must accompany all children under 13 years of age when using the lab.
- Boone County Public Library reserves the right to close the Boone
Innovation Lab on short notice. Always call in advance to make
certain the Lab is open.
- Mon – Thu: 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Fri: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Sat: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Sun: 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
The Library reserves the right to close the Lab on short notice.
We look forward to discovering how innovative you can be!
Chelsea Swinford-Johantges is the children’s librarian at the Hebron Branch.