There have definitely been a lot of curveballs thrown at all of us this year. The Library is no different. We have adapted and made changes that allow us to remain open in a safe way for visitors and staff. BCPL has implemented a number of protocols to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Enhanced Cleaning Measures
In addition to regular daily cleanings and previously scheduled carpet cleanings, BCPL has several additional cleaning procedures in place.
- High-touch services and areas are sanitized every two hours by library staff. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: keyboards, printers, fax machines, door knobs, hand rails, elevator buttons, restrooms, newspaper area, and self-checkout stations. Study rooms are sanitized when available.
- Enhanced deep cleaning occurs each evening from our cleaning service.
- Regularly scheduled steam cleanings occur for open restrooms throughout each of our buildings.
- All returned items are quarantined for 72 hours before being placed back on the shelves.
- Water fountains are currently shut down.
Kentucky’s Healthy at Work Guidelines
BCPL is following guidelines created by the state of Kentucky that are based on the knowledge of public health experts and input from industry experts. Some of these guidelines include the following:
- Staff and visitors must wear face coverings when in our buildings.
- Social distancing markers are in place to encourage 6-feet distancing throughout our buildings.
- Staff undergo temperature checks before the start of their shift.
Low-Contact/Touchless Pick-up Options
Prior to the pandemic, BCPL had a couple low or no contact pick-up options for materials in place at our Hebron location. We have since added one more option that is most-likely here to stay. Please remember your library card when utilizing these services!
- Touchless Curbside Pick-up: This service is available at all our locations during open hours. Put your books on hold. We will contact you when they are ready, and put them in your trunk when you arrive.
- Drive-thru: Located at our Hebron Branch, it also serves as this location’s Curbside Pick-up. Drive through to drop off your old materials and pick up your new ones!
- Lockers: Located at our Hebron Branch, choose the “After-hours” option when reserving your materials from our catalog. We will contact you when they are ready and you can pick up your materials anytime without face-to-face contact.
- Drop box: Every location has a drop box for returning books without leaving your car.
Although BCPL already had a robust collection of digital services, we have increased digital services to provide more options for customers. Please visit our Digital Library page for resources.
- The BCPL App allows you to check items out without going to a checkout station.
- We have increased the number of items for check out available digitally through the Libby and Overdrive apps.
- We have created a temporary Digital Access card you can sign-up for at home to utilize our digital collections. *Please note-digital cards expire after 6 months. *
- Some databases have extended free use for home access.
The Library will continue to monitor the ongoing situation and make changes and decisions based on science-based and governmental recommendations. We appreciate our community’s ongoing support during this time and will continue to serve as a resource for our community in a safe and healthy manner!
Kelsey Shackelford is the Community Events Liaison for Boone County Public Library.